Thursday, August 23, 2012

You and I will meet again.

the patchwork pattern of my city reflects
the quilted rectangular lakes of yours
museums, palaces, and parks
plotted perfectly with an artistic eye

in my ears, the Nordic night still serenades
as it did when I balanced on the back
of your bike as you pedaled forward
each rotation bringing us closer and closer

my hands pulse with the rhythm of your chest
the cycle of air in your lungs, emptying and filling
surrendering carbon dioxide to the harbor
exchanging oxygen for your blood

your phantom scent still haunts me
convincing me that your cells must be
embedded in the fibers of my scarf,
clinging to the strands of my hair and inside of me

you linger on my tongue and like everything,
alters the taste of all that comes after
so I wonder if you've damaged the receptors
and robbed me of every future bittersweetness

but soon the exhausted summer sun will rest
and I will forget these hungry fantasies
our sweaty impatience, the cadence of our cravings
my satisfied sigh, and the symmetry of your face

No comments: